Sunday, October 24, 2010

book review: brain jack


from the back: Right now, as you read this, i am sifting through the contents of your computer. Yes, your computer. You. The one holding this book.

You could race over and turn your computer off, but you'd already be too late.

I could delete a few files, but I probably won't. I could change your password and lock you out of your own system, but I can't be bothered. I am not malicious or evil, or even particularly bad.

I'll just quietly leave, and erase all trace that I was ever there.

But I know you know. I know who you are. I know where you live. I know what you've got. And if the time comes that I need something from you, something that you might or might not want to give up, I'll be back.

That time is coming. Sooner than you think.

my review: this book was different from a lot of things i read. the first half reminded me of cory doctorow's little brother. the techno-thriller aspect was cool without being way over my head or inaccessible to someone who couldn't hack into someone's yahoo account if her life depended on it. through a series of events our main character, sam finds himself on the run. the second half of the book is alot more action-adventure, save the world type of stuff. it was fast-paced and i read it in one afternoon.  this is a book that computer minded teenage boys might enjoy. (or other people since i am not a computer minded teenage boy and loved it). it was set a little bit in the future, not too much to make it crazy and a whole new universe, but enough to make the technological advances that carry the plot believable. if you like young adult novels and/or techno thrillers - try this one on for size.

No comments: